What is ergonomics?
Ergonomics is the science related to man and his work, embodying the anatomic, physiologic, and mechanical principles affecting the efficient use of human energy. For you this means how pan or injury can be prevented, and how to make it through the day more comfortably. Using proper lifting techniques, proper posture, and appropriate seating position are just a few examples.
Proper lifting technique
It is possible to injure yourself by not lifting objects incorrectly, no matter how light they may be. A few helpful tips include:
• Keep your low back straight
• Bend from the knees
• Lift with your legs
• Don’t bend straight over from the waist
Good Posture While Driving
Most people spend a fair amount of time driving in their car, especially in San Diego traffic. Here are a few important tips that will help keep your spine healthy while driving.
• Keep your seat back close to 90 degree
• Sit up straight with your head close to the headrest
• Arms comfortably resting at the 3 & 9 o’clock positions on the steering wheel
Good work habits
Many people spend much of their work day in front of a computer screen. Any activity that you engage in for many consecutive hours can lead to microtrauma in your body. The postural muscles that support the joints and structures in your body will become weaker over time if one sits at a desk with improper posture everyday. Some helpful tips to improve your workstation are listed below.
- Arm rests should allow your elbows to sit at a 90 degree angle.
- Use a lumbar support and situate it slightly below the waist line.
- The height of your chair should allow your feet to rest flat on the floor.
- Allow 1-3 inches between the edge of the seat and the back of your knees.
- A high back chair supports your shoulder blades, while a low back chair doesn’t.